List of software created and maintained by people other than the manufacturer of the product. The extent of support for (and testing on) particular hardware varies from project to project.
Belkin Firmware Download
Notable custom-firmware projects for wireless routers.Many of these will run on various brands such as Linksys, Asus, Netgear, etc.
6 Free Alternative Router Firmware – Unlock Hidden Features. Belkin F5D8230-4 Broadcom BCM4704. Hi i have d-link dsl-124 i want a custom firmware but i dont. Notable custom-firmware projects for wireless routers. Many of these will run on various brands such as Linksys, Asus, Netgear, etc. OpenWrt – Customizable FOSS firmware written from scratch; features a combined SquashFS/JFFS2 file system and the package manager opkg with over 3000 available packages (Linux/GPL); now merged with LEDE.
- OpenWrt – Customizable FOSS firmware written from scratch; features a combined SquashFS/JFFS2 file system and the package manager opkg with over 3000 available packages (Linux/GPL); now merged with LEDE.
- LEDE – A fork of the OpenWrt project that shares many of the same goals; now merged into OpenWrt.
- Commotion Wireless – FOSS mesh networking.
- DD-WRT – Based on OpenWrt kernel since v. 23 (Dec. 2005), paid and free versions available.
- Gargoyle – A free OpenWrt-based Linux distribution for a range of Broadcom and Atheros chipset based wireless routers.
- LibreCMC – An FSF-endorsed derivation of OpenWRT with the proprietary blobs removed
- Roofnet – A now defunct experimental 802.11 based mesh network project developed at the MITComputer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
The technology developed by the Roofnet project formed the basis for the company Meraki, now owned by Cisco.
- DebWRT – Combines the Linux kernel from OpenWrt and the package management system from Debian (Linux/GPL).
- HyperWRT – Early power-boosting firmware project to stay close to the official WRT54G and WRT54GS firmware but add features such as transmit power, port triggers, scripts, telnet, etc.
- Tomato – The successor to HyperWRT, features advanced QoS as well as Ajax and SVG graphs.
Software distributions for routers with >5 GB Storage and >1 GB RAM
- m0n0wall - m0n0wall is abandoned, but it was built on FreeBSD and boots off of flash storage or CD ROM media in under 12 megabytes.
- pfsense - an open source firewall/router computer software distribution based on FreeBSD that can be installed on a physical computer or a virtual machine.
- OPNsense - a fork of pfSense.
- Zeroshell – Routers and bridges with VPN, QoS, load balancing and other functions
- IPFire - Advanced firmware written from scratch with customizable firewall and optional packages in the form of add ons.
Belkin Custom Firmware Update
- ^'OpenWrt – Wireless Freedom'. OpenWrt.org. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- ^'DD-WRT project site'. DD-WRT.com. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- ^'Free GNU/Linux distributions'. GNU.org. Retrieved 2015-05-20.
- ^'DebWRT project site'. DebWRT.net. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- ^'Fresh Tomato project site'. freshtomato.org. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
Belkin Router Firmware
- Henry, Alan (2015-04-01). 'How to Choose the Best Firmware to Supercharge Your Wi-Fi Router'. Lifehacker. Gawker Media. Retrieved 2016-06-16.